For those who are interested in his big entrance to the world just 4 days ago, here are the details (well most of them. I know I am forgetting some stuff so maybe I'll edit this later.)
Nick woke up at 8:15 for his morning bathroom break and I told him I was having real contractions and about the timing. He was super caught off guard but very excited and realized he should call the midwife so at 8:30 he called. They asked us the usual questions about timing and intensity and said they'd call us back. We were on the "student midwife program" at the birthing center, so the student has to call the real midwife and consult with them before telling us anything concrete. Between our call to them and the time she called back, Nick took a quick
shower because he couldn't sit still and wanted to be prepared in case this was really it. Around 8:45 she called back and of course said to try taking a bath (right after Nick just used up nearly all the hot water. Haha. He felt kinda bad.) and to eat a good breakfast to get some fuel in me in case this was really it. While I was in the tub Nick made me some eggs and was running back and
forth with pans of water he was heating on the stove to add to the tub to make it warmer since it was barely warm and for some reason our tub stopper wasn't working so it was continuously slowly draining and the only water coming out of the faucet was cold.
Around 9:30 we called back and updated the midwife that the contractions were getting stronger and now were about 2-3 minutes apart. They said to go ahead and come in. We got there around 10:15 and they checked me and determined I was a "4 or 5-ish". They never gave us updates on effacement so I have no idea about any of that. They told us that labor would progress faster if we were to walk around for another hour or so if possible and suggested we go eat something else for the big day ahead. There is a Good Earth store right around the corner and they said it had a little cafe that we could try to get breakfast at so we went for a walk stopping every few minutes for contractions. The cafe was still closed of course so we just walked around the store trying to find something to get to eat. People were kind of staring at us at that point because I would squeeze Nick's hand to let him know to stop when I had a contraction and he would turn so I could bury my head in his chest and then start rocking back and forth a bit. I really didn't care that people were staring because I was just in the zone and Nick was being great with helping me through it. The store smelled disgusting to me (there were all these herbal tea things that smelled super strong and I swear they were at the end of every aisle) so we quickly bought a thing of teddy graham type things and walked back to the birthing center and decided to keep walking outside a bit longer in their courtyard since I still felt like I could. It was a super windy day so it was a little chilly but I was super toasty so it felt pretty good to me. Nick started to get a little cold though and it had been an hour so we went back inside. When we went back inside I felt super warm after being in the chilly air for so long that they turned the heat down a bit for us.
Around this time we realized we should take one last belly picture before he was out and before things got more intense. I feel like I look so big. Especially now since my swelling and belly have gone down quite a bit. My belly button looks so crazy right now a few days later.
birthing ball and and the midwife gave Nick some awesome tips for helping me through contractions. When I had one, she showed him a pushing on my tailbone technique and when she did that it felt like magic. I think I even said an audible "Wow." If I didn't, I sure thought it. After she showed us that trick the two midwives left us with a "We'll give you some privacy and just let us know if you need anything or want to be checked". Nick was doing great at helping me through everything so I stayed on the birthing ball for quite a while to help things along as much as possible and it just felt like a relaxing position to labor in. The tailbone trick really almost made the contractions numb too so that was nice and Nick did a great job of adjusting where he was pushing
on my back when I asked him to.
Contractions were getting more intense at that point and I was thinking about how I wasn't sure that I could I stay awake for the rest of the labor because it was getting exhausting. I don't know how women do it when they go into labor at 2am or just before they are laying down to bed at night. Haha. Anyway, I stayed on the ball for a bit longer but then I could feel him descending and after a certain point the ball just wasn't comfy anymore so they checked me again and determined I was an 8 or 8.5 and so I got in the tub. I waited to get in the tub until then because they informed me that usually labor in the tub slows things down a bit because of the position your body is in or something. The tub labor went by quickly for me and although it was intense, I still felt in control. They checked me again around 4ish and determined I was at a 9 and starting transition. That was the last they checked me. I knew transition was going to be the toughest part because of the birthing books and articles I had read so I was mentally gearing up for what was to come.
Contractions were getting more intense at that point and I was thinking about how I wasn't sure that I could I stay awake for the rest of the labor because it was getting exhausting. I don't know how women do it when they go into labor at 2am or just before they are laying down to bed at night. Haha. Anyway, I stayed on the ball for a bit longer but then I could feel him descending and after a certain point the ball just wasn't comfy anymore so they checked me again and determined I was an 8 or 8.5 and so I got in the tub. I waited to get in the tub until then because they informed me that usually labor in the tub slows things down a bit because of the position your body is in or something. The tub labor went by quickly for me and although it was intense, I still felt in control. They checked me again around 4ish and determined I was at a 9 and starting transition. That was the last they checked me. I knew transition was going to be the toughest part because of the birthing books and articles I had read so I was mentally gearing up for what was to come.
My mom, step-dad and grandma got to the center just before or after that point (I really don't remember as I was focusing on working through contractions). My mom came in the room with Nick and I. I didn't know if I would want her in there or not before I went into labor, but at that point I wanted the extra support in the room and couldn't care less that I was half naked. I knew she would be helpful and that she was really hoping I'd want her in the room. Nick and my mom just kept helping me through everything. I seriously couldn't have done it with out them both. Cold washcloths on my head and neck were all I needed them to do, but it made a world of a
difference. Transition was all a blur. I am really sore from that part because I was contorting my body however I felt like I could get through the contractions and my arms and legs are paying for it! They said I could start pushing when I felt like it with the contractions and it felt like only 20 minutes went by, (but pushing really lasted an hour and 20 minutes). When I could feel his head with my hand I got super excited and even though I could already feel that it was going to be pretty painful, I wasn't focused on that at all at that point. I was just super focused on pushing during the contractions and that seemed to make them hurt less too. I remember I just kept thinking over and over "Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh, he is coming! Right NOW! I get to meet my son!" I was so happy that any pain was not really on my mind anymore. I even laughed out loud a few times between
contractions while mumbling "He's right there. He's going to be out soon!" When I could SEE his head about 3 inches out of me and I knew only a few more pushes would get him out, I got so excited and mustered all the determination I had for the last few pushes and out he came! They laid him right on my chest and Nick and I just looked at him and fell in love
He had such a sweet little cry and we just talked to him. His skin was COVERED with the vernix so he couldn't really open his eyes at all. I tried to wipe his eyes off with the wet towel so he could see us but it was just too thick. DH wasn't super attached to cutting the cord so when they asked who wanted to cut it we offered the job to my mom. She was super excited about it so we felt good that we let her do the honor. The placenta came out way quick compared to what I thought it would and then it was
He had such a sweet little cry and we just talked to him. His skin was COVERED with the vernix so he couldn't really open his eyes at all. I tried to wipe his eyes off with the wet towel so he could see us but it was just too thick. DH wasn't super attached to cutting the cord so when they asked who wanted to cut it we offered the job to my mom. She was super excited about it so we felt good that we let her do the honor. The placenta came out way quick compared to what I thought it would and then it was all over and the aftermath began.
Everything else also kind of ran together. They dried me off and I got in my robe and with some help walked to the bed in the next room. They hooked me up to a cathedar because I couldn't urinate during labor after his head was down farther. (They actually had to break my water during transition because my bladder was blocking the way.) I couldn't really feel anything down there afterwards to try going myself either. They massaged out as many clots as they could and then they worked on the stitches after that which was not fun but Nick helped me through that too. Meanwhile Harvey was getting weighed and measured, etc and my mom took him until the midwives were done stitching me up (which felt like an eternity).
A little later I tried to walk to the bathroom (with lots of help) and then I almost passed out on the toilet. I literally couldn't hear anything at all and I started losing some vision too. I'm pretty my eyes rolled back or something. They very slowly got me back to the bed and then a few minutes later said it wasn't a 100% necessary but asked if I would be okay with running an
IV to help get fluids back in me. I really hate needles but even I knew I needed it so they did an IV and gave me two packs of the stuff. After the IVs, 3 or 4 gatorades and some snacks later I felt much better so we let people come in and meet Harvey. He was a little overwhelmed with all the people in the room but he didn't cry at all. It was pretty chaotic and I was pretty tired but then things died down and we had a little time to ourselves. Then we decided we should go home and get to sleep since we were just hanging out there doing nothing.
We were in our own beds by 12:30! As Nick likes to say - what a day, what a day, what a day, what a day. 

Four days later, we couldn't be happier with our little guy and after having a few days to recover and reflect on the birthing experience, I really feel lucky to have such a good first natural birthing experience. It really was a very positive experience for me. I feel very happy with how things turned out and very fortunate to have such a great support system. I wouldn't change a thing with how things happened!
4 comments:
Welcome to Motherhood!!!! I love you and am sooo proud of you!
First of all, WHAT a HUSBAND you have, going and boiling water for your bath...SO stinking sweet:-) Secondly, I am SOOOO incredibly proud of you and can not wait to meet you little man, Harvey. He is just as adorable as can be. You are AMAZING and sounds like you did a beautiful job on your first of many deliveries;-)
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
Kaitlyn you are my hero for doing natural! I don't think i could ever do it like that! Congrats, Harvey is so precious!
You did do amazing. It was like you were a pro with taking control of your birth, and I was so blessed to be a part of that wonderful moment in your life and in the transition on mine. To watch my baby girl become a Mother and see that baby just soak you in and Nick turn into a the proudest Daddy I have ever seen. What a great miracle to be present.. I love you both and now little Harvey for grandma to snuggle with...
Post a Comment